What is Breast Lift?
A breast lift, also known as mastopexy, raises the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour.
It can restores shape and volume that may have been lost due to age, weight loss, or nursing. With most breast lifts, the nipple and areola are shifted to a higher position in order to create a natural look.
A breast lift can rejuvenate your figure with a breast profile that is more youthful and uplifted. A woman's breasts often change over time, losing their youthful shape and firmness. These changes and loss of skin elasticity can result from:
- Weight fluctuations
What breast lift surgery can't do
Breast lift surgery does not significantly change the size of your breasts or round out the upper part of your breast.If you want your breasts to look fuller, consider breast lift and breast augmentation surgery.
If you want smaller breasts, consider combining breast lift and breast reduction surgery.
Breast Lift cost
The average cost of a breast lift is AU$2,000 - AU$4,000 (depending on its condition).
Breast lift surgery costs can vary widel and most health insurance plans will not cover breast lift surgery, its related complications or another surgery to revise the appearance of your breasts, but many plastic surgeons offer patient financing plans, so be sure to ask.
Breast Lift costs may include:
- Anesthesia fees
- Surgical facility cost
- Medical test
- Post-surgery garments
- Prescriptions for medication
- Surgeon's fee
Breast Lift Candidates
You may be a candidate for breast Lift surgery if:
- Physically healthy and maintain a stable weight
- Bothered by the feeling that your breasts sag or have lost shape and volume
- Your breasts have a flatter, elongated shape or are pendulous
- When unsupported, your nipples fall below the breast crease
- Your nipples and areolas point downward
- You have stretched skin and enlarged areolas
- One breast is lower than the other
Breast lift surgery is a highly individualized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else's desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
Breast Lift Recovery
During your breast lift recovery, dressings or bandages will be applied to the incisions after the procedure is completed. Patient will need to wear an elastic bandage or support bra to minimize swelling and support your breasts as they heal.
A small, thin tube may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect. You will be given specific instructions that may include:
- How to care for your breasts following surgery
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the potential for infection
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon.
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your individual breast lift recovery period.
- Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
- What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
- Are stitches removed? When?
- When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
Breast Lift Result
The results of your breast lift surgery are immediately visible. Over time, post-surgical swelling will resolve and incision lines will fade.
Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you recover from surgery.The final results of your breast lift will appear over the next few months as breast shape and position continue to settle.Incision lines are permanent but will continue to fade over time. The results of your breast lift surgery will be long-lasting. Over time, your breasts can continue to change due to aging and gravity. You'll be able to retain your new look longer if you:
- Maintain your weight
- Keep a healthy lifestyle
Following your physician's instructions is essential to the success of your surgery.
It's important that the surgical incisions are not subjected to excessive force, swelling, abrasion or motion during the time of healing. Your doctor will give you specific instructions on how to care for yourself.
Breast lift surgery and pregnancy
Breast surgery should be entertained after child bearing is completed.
Changes that occur in the breasts during pregnancy can minimize or reverse the improvement a breast lift provides.
Likewise, significant weight loss after breast surgery can negatively impact breast appearance.